The root energies for the Mahā Bhūtas are subtle energies known as the Tanmātras. The second tanmātra to be aware of is Sparsha (spelled Sparśa). Sparśa Tanmātra is the primordial unmanifested form of touch. Sparśa is connected with the essential element, Vāyu, Air. Touch and air are inter-connected and as such the associated organ of the skin is the central organ associated with Sparśa Tanmātra.
~ When considering Sparśa Tanmātra through the lens of Yoga, consider the idea of the essential energy of primordial touch that supports Air, Vāyu. Notice how your skin connects with air and touch. See what info you glean about your embodied experience through this subtle element.
~ When viewing Sparśa Tanmātra in the context of Ayurveda, consider the idea of your skin as the primary organ connected with air. Notice your hands as its primary organ of action.
~ Pay attention to the energy of touch and its interrelationship with air.
Manorama’s Sanskrit Pronunciation Tips:
- Connect with your breathing
- Feel your feet underneath you
- Say the ‘Spar’ from the 4th & 5th mouth positions ‘Spa’ resolving to the 3rd position ‘r’
- Next say ‘śa’ at the 2nd mouth position
- Put it all together: Sparśa – subtle element – Great!
- Don’t forget to enjoy the feeling of saying Sanskrit words. Sanskrit words are particularly pleasing to hear and say. Let the feeling of the word meet you.
In the next Quick & Sacred Sanskrit post, I’ll be sharing about the Tanmātra Rūpa.
©2017 Manorama, Sanskrit Studies & Luminous Soul
Yogic understanding builds in a step by step process. Making time to go on retreat deepens your capacity for real connection with your self, and with others.
Join us for the I AM Luminous Urban Retreat
in New York City
Fri – Sun, May 19th -21st.
There will be Luminous Soul Meditations, Luminous Soul wisdom teachings, Sanskrit chanting, laughter and time spent together with like-minded souls.
*Don’t miss this yearly Luminous Soul gathering.
Click for more info